It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the eco-friendly messages that seem to be everywhere. My philosophy is to start where you are right now and take a few steps forward at a time. Below are five tips to help you become a greener consumer.
- Reduce your consumption. This is one of the easiest ways to become a greener consumer. Instead of buying a cleaning product for each room in your house, buy one all-purpose cleaning product that works in the bathroom and kitchen. Household cleaning products are not required to list the ingredients, but you can do some online research in advance to see what is in the products. The Household Products Database provides great information on many products. You can also make cleaning products. Check out the UGA Green Cleaning Recipes.
- Rethink your clothing. Donate your old cloths and buy more secondhand items. Choose items that are higher quality and will last longer. Take care of your clothing.
- Repurpose and refresh items in your home. You may be tired of your furniture, but maybe all it needs is a new look or purpose. Some ideas on the UGA GreenWay Pinterest
- Refill your freezer. A full freezer actually saves energy.
- Take advantage of energy tax credits. DSIRE provides a complete list.
There are many other things you can do. For more ideas visit:
Repurpose two dining room chairs into a bench.