Create a Healthy Home: Clean up the Mold
Mold is all around us. It grows on any organic substance, as long as there is moisture and oxygen. You can’t eliminate all of the mold and mold spores in your home, but you can reduce mold by controlling moisture. Mold can trigger allergies or asthma attacks in children and adults, so it is important to manage moisture in your home.
What can you do to reduce the moisture in your home? Start by assessing your habits and behaviors.
- Do you turn on the fan in the bathroom when you shower?
- Do you turn the kitchen fan on when you are cooking?
- Do the faucets in your kitchen or bathroom leak?
- Are your closets packed full of clothing and stuff?
- Is the humidity inside your home above 60%?
TAKE ACTION – Reduce the Moisture!
- Use the exhaust fan when showering and leave it running for about 5 minutes after you finish showering.
- Turn on the exhaust fan when cooking on the stove.
- Repair leaky faucets and plumbing leaks.
- Remove at least 1/3 of the stuff in your closet to provide for increased airflow and reduce the risk of mold. A louvered door will also help increase ventilation. Another option is to leave the door open.
- Purchase a humidistat to monitor the relative humidity inside your home. In climates with high humidity you want to keep the indoor level below 60%.
For additional information on mold and moisture, and how you can make your home healthier visit:
Please tell us in the comments or by email what one thing you did to make your home safer for your family.
Living Healthy Living Green